Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Bitter End of My Ends

My hair has been getting really long. When I look in the mirror, I've gone from thinking "Meh," to thinking, "Nice!" when I look at my hair. It's been transitioning from being just long hair to being looong hair. I've been feeling beautiful and sexy for a change. I've also been really excited to show my parents its length when they arrive for Christmas.

At 10 on Saturday I had an appointment at Dallas Roberts Academy to get my hair trimmed. I told the girl that I just wanted my ends and the hair framing my face cleaned up for the holidays. She responded by saying I would need layers in the back to make it look right. Surprised, I agred that some light layers would be fine. As she prepared her first cut, she combed up a big section of hair right in the center of my head, like a mohawk. I clarified that I just wanted the front 5% trimmed. She assured me that the layers would be long, then proceeded to cut away HALF the length of the hair she was holding. I was mortified. I wanted to run away, but I figured the damage was already done. I felt sick. She proceeded for the next hour to savagely hack away at my patiently grown hair while I tried not to vomit or cry.

When she finally finished, her instructor came to inspect it. She, in her turn, grabbed chunks of my hair, and demonstrated an "effective technique" for cutting curly hair by partially opening her scissors and running it through my hair. I was all I could do to not scream at her to stop butchering my hair.

I stumbled out the door, and ran to my car as the tears began streaming out. I cried all the way home, then awoke poor Tyson by sobbing uncontrollably in his arms.

He was so sweet and comforting. So was Calleen. Tyson also called the academy and spoke with girl and described to her the fallout of her imprudent actions.

My long, thick ends are gone. I've lost probably four inches of hair (when even she agreed she was only going to cut off one), and my ends are thinned and shredded. All my hair on my right side is longer than on my left, and the hair on the top of my head is just chopped off short.

I used to just pull half my hair back in a barrette, but no more. It's not long enough unless I pull it tight against my head. I also used to pull it into a ponytail when I worked out, and then pull it halfway through again into a loop, and still have a significant amount hanging out. Now I don't even have enough hair for the same size loop, let alone any extra. I've worn my hair stuffed up into a hat the past two days at work, in mourning and protestation.

Here are some pictures. Keep in mind that my curls soften a lot of ugliness.

No comments:

Post a Comment