Friday, May 29, 2009

The German Pavillion

Also known as the Barcelona Pavilion by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe , we came here two days ago and then took some time to let it soak in. I went back today, had some gelato and did some drawing. It was a great afternoon.

I know a lot of you might say something like, "I don't get it?" It's ok, I had to look at it for a long time before I got it, and some of it is still lost on me I'm sure. I'm probably couldn't give you any sophisticated explanation of the buildings significance, but I would say its about minimalism, materiality, precision and space conception, but really I think its just about Mies.

Lastly here's the first film I ever made. Obviously not my best work, especially now that I've seen it in person, but it gave me the chance to really discovered Mies, and a big part of what brought me here. Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. i love that you actually post pictures of your trip abroad! unlike shad who has yet to post a single picture from his month in china! thanks tyson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the pictures are beautiful! i'm glad you let us homelanders experience spain vicariously through your camera lens. :) it also sounds like you're having a wonderful time there.

    ReplyDelete